Monday, September 20, 2010

Christopher Hitchens has an advanced metastasic cancer of esophagus


As it is well known for the readers of my blog, the main targets of it are materialistic pseudo-skeptics, debunkers and metaphysical naturalist ideologues in general. However, my opposition and criticisms to these ideological individuals and groups is purely intellectual and ethical, not personal. I have no personal animosity or hostility to these people as such, but to their false, irrational, inmoral and socially dangerous beliefs and methods of suppression of knowledge and evidence incompatible with the metaphysical naturalistic ideology and the materialistic-atheistic agenda.

As consequence, and even though I accept survival consciousness as a probably existent reality, I must admit I feel very sad by the recent news about atheist Christopher Hitchens suffering of an advanced cancer of esophagus (it's advanced, since in his case such cancer has made metastases to the lungs and lymph node). It's a very advanced stage of esophageal cancer.

According to the American Cancer Society website, in the case of an advanced esophageal cancer with distant metastasis, the rate of survival after 5 years is only of 3%.

Read Hitchens' recent own account of his experience with cancer diagnosis in this link.

Hitchens comments that "Against me is the blind, emotionless alien, cheered on by some who have long wished me ill. But on the side of my continued life is a group of brilliant and selfless physicians plus an astonishing number of prayer groups."

It's paradoxical and curious that a man who has made his life trying to destroy religion and Christianity is admittedly receiving (from religious people, we have to suppose) a lot of praying intented to help him in his recovery.

Hitchens also comments (half ironically, perhaps): "My father had died, and very swiftly, too, of cancer of the esophagus. He was 79. I am 61. In whatever kind of a “race” life may be, I have very abruptly become a finalist"

In any case, personally, I wish to Hitchens a full recovery from his disease, and I hope to see him again debating about God's existence with other scholars and thinkers (as philosopher William Lane Craig destroyed him in a previous debate, I'd like to see Hitchens again against Craig in a second round).

But if Hitchens losses eventually his battle with cancer, I wish him a good beginning in the new spiritual journey of the "afterlife" (I hope that his spiritually negative and hostile books have no important consequences to his own spiritual evolution in the afterlife).

Finally, watch this recent interview with Hitchens, where he comments his views on cancer and other matters:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
ban nha mat pho ha noi bán nhà mặt phố hà nội