Friday, November 19, 2010

Ciudad de las ideas debate: William Lane Craig, Richard Dawkins, Michael Shermer, Douglas Devitt, David Wolpe: Does the Universe have a purpose?






In Mexico, atheists Richard Dawkins, Michael Shermer and Matt Ridley debate theists William Lane Craig, Rabbi David Wolpe, and Douglas Geivett on the question "Does the Universe have a purpose?".

This is the first time that seasoned debater and Christian philosopher William Lane Craig, the foremost defender of sophisticated philosophical arguments for God's existence, cross swords with zoologist and atheist Richard Dawkins. Unfortunately, the format of the discussion didn't enable a long and detailed confrontation between them, only a brief exchange of comments.

I'd like to watch a formal debate between Craig and Dawkins about God's existence, but I doubt such debate will occur, since Dawkins fully knows that he won't win it (in fact, Dawkins has made public his desire of NOT debating Craig). I wish such debate, not because Dawkins's case is compelling (I think it's very weak), but because I'd like to see Dawkins' unsophisticated arguments being fully refuted and publicly exposed in front of the audience.

So, this is the first and probably the last time that you'll see Craig in the same public forum than Dawkins!

Enjoy.

PS.
Note that the topic is "Does the Universe have a purpose?". Keep in mind this crucial point, specially when you watch th atheists' case, specially Michael Shermer's arguments defending the idea that each of us has valid and good purposes in life (what the hell has that to do with the topic in question?)

Red herrings and straw men are the speciality of seasoned atheist apologists.

You'll be the judge.

Addendum:

In a recent internet communication, William Lane Craig comments on his meeting with Richard Dawkins, previous to the conference: "The reception was held at the house of Professor Andres Roemer, the conference organizer. It soon became clear that he is not your ordinary professor. He is a well-connected entrepreneur, media personality, and a big-time promoter in Mexico. His house is a three-story building facing a park, old on the outside and opulent on the inside (one whole wall open to the outdoors was covered with brilliant, orange marigolds). At the reception, Professor Roemer shocked me by telling me that Michio Kaku didn’t want to be part of our debate (he later described himself to me as “a waffler”), and so Richard Dawkins was on the panel instead! I could scarcely believe my ears! It just seemed unbelievable that Dawkins and I were going to finally cross swords in a public forum.

We were then taken by bus to a second reception back at the hotel. As I stood there, talking with other conference presenters, I saw Richard Dawkins come in. When he drew near, I extended my hand and introduced myself. I remarked, “I’m surprised to see that you’re on the panel.

And why not?” he replied.

Well,” I said, “You’ve always refused to debate me.”

His tone suddenly became icy cold. “I don’t consider this to be a debate with you. The Mexicans invited me to participate, and I accepted.” At that, he turned away.

Well, I hope we have a good discussion,” I said.

I very much doubt it,” he retorted and walked off.

So my first encounter with Richard Dawkins was a pretty chilly one!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
ban nha mat pho ha noi bán nhà mặt phố hà nội