Friday, March 18, 2011

On the tragic events in Japan: A brief comment about the 2011 Tsunami in Japan





I've been asked for a lot of friends and other people through e-mails about the recent tragic events in Japan. I had decided not posting anything about it, in part because it is not the purpose of this blog, and in part because I think I don't have anything substantial to add to this situation.

For concerned people (and I thank the many mails received), I want to clarify that in this moment I'm not in Japan but in Europe. But I've been affected by the situation in a personal way, since I've received information that at least one friend died as consequence of these tragic events. And I suspect that other persons who I love could be seriously affected too. Unfortunately, for several reasons, communication with some of them have been almost impossible during the past few days.

I'm a man consistent with my beliefs. Given that I think an afterlife is likely to exist and a kind of trascendent and objective purpose do exist, I try to evaluate any tragic event in my life in the light of this perspective (otherwise, I'd be simply inconsistent). This mindset helps me to overcome, or at least to face, hard situations.

In other words, spirituality and a reasonable belief in the afterlife give me a sense of moral strengh, even in the hardest times.

It is not to say that it's "normal" to see my country and the people there suffering a lot. It's a emotionally painful and hard moment for me. But like anything else, we have to be spiritually strong and keep going.

To the Christians readers of this blog, your praying in favor of my people will be welcome. To the non-Christians who accept the efficacy of praying on empirical grounds, your praying also will be of help. To the atheistic materialists, it would be ridiculous to ask them for praying, but I think that asking them for sympathetic and positive thoughts toward the japanese people would be appreciated.

Thanks to all of you for your concern.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
ban nha mat pho ha noi bán nhà mặt phố hà nội