Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Edward Feser's brief post on the debate between William Lane Craig and Alex Rosenberg



In his blog, Thomistic philosopher Edward Feser briefly posted about the "great debate" between Craig and Rosenberg:

Theist philosopher William Lane Craig debated atheist philosopher Alex Rosenberg at Purdue University on February 1.  You can watch the debate here.  I put forward my own detailed critique of Rosenberg’s book The Atheist’s Guide to Reality in a ten-part series of posts, of which you can find a roundup here.  As I’ve said before, one of Rosenberg’s strengths is that he is willing consistently to follow out the implications of scientism (however absurd and self-defeating, as we saw in the series of posts just referred to) in a way many other atheists do not.  Another is that, as this event indicates, he has (as a certain other prominent atheist famously appears not to have) the courage and intellectual honesty to debate the most formidable defenders of theism.

I fully agree with Feser's opinion about Rosenberg. 

Just for the record: Feser is one of my favorite philosophers. Even thought I'm still unconvinced of many of the metaphysical thesis of Thomas Aquinas (e.g. about divine simplicity, see my comments here), I think Feser is one of the most able, erudite and sophisticated Thomist philosophers in the English speaking world. I've learnt a lot about Aquinas, Aristotelian metaphysics and philosophy in general from his works. Hence, I strongly recommend Feser's ten-part series of posts reviewing of Rosenberg's book "An Atheist's Guide to Reality".

Stay tuned for most posts in my blog reviewing the famous (or perhaps, infamous) debate between Rosenberg and Craig.

All of my posts about the Craig/Rosenberg debate can be read from this link.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
ban nha mat pho ha noi bán nhà mặt phố hà nội